James E. Faulconer is a Latter-day Saint philosopher and senior research fellow at the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship. Faulconer received his B.A. in English from BYU. He then received master’s and Ph.D. degrees in philosophy from Pennsylvania State University. His area of interest in philosophy is contemporary European philosophy, particularly the work of Martin Heidegger and late 20th- and early 21st-century French thinkers, particularly as that work bears on religious experience. Dr. Faulconer is author of the Maxwell Institute’s “Scriptures Made Harder” series (2013–2015) and other books such as Scripture Study: Tools and Suggestions (1999), Faith, Philosophy, and Scripture (2010), and The Life of Holiness: Notes and Reflections on Romans 1, 5–8 (2012).
Before joining the Institute, Faulconer served as Richard L. Evans Professor of Religious Understanding at Brigham Young University, Academic Director of BYU’s London Centre, and Resident Senior Research Fellow and Associate Director of the Wheatley Institution. He also previously served as the dean of Undergraduate Education and the chair of the Philosophy Department at BYU.
- Thinking Otherwise: Theological Explorations of Joseph Smith’s Revelations. Maxwell Institute (2020).
- Mosiah: A Brief Theological Introduction. Maxwell Institute (2020).
- The New Testament Made Harder: Scripture Study. Maxwell Institute, 2015.
- Perspectives on Mormon Theology: Scriptural Theology. Co-edited with Joseph M. Spencer. Kofford Books 2015.
- The Doctrine and Covenants Made Harder: Scripture Study Questions. Provo, UT: Maxwell Institute, 2014.
- The Book of Mormon Made Harder: Scripture Study Questions. Provo, UT: Maxwell Institute, 2014.
- Common Ground–Different Opinions: Latter-day Saints and Contemporary Issues. Co-edited with Justin F. White. Salt Lake City, UT: Kofford Books, 2013.
- The Life of Holiness: Notes and Reflections on Romans 1, 5-8. Provo, UT: Maxwell Institute, 2012.
- Faith, Philosophy, Scripture. Provo, UT: Maxwell Institute, 2012.
- Transcendence in Religion and Philosophy. Indianapolis: Indiana University Press, 2003.
- Appropriating Heidegger. Co-edited with Mark W. Wrathall. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Scripture Study: Tools and Suggestions. Provo, Utah: FARMS, 1999.
- Reconsidering Psychology: Perspectives from Contemporary Continental Philosophy. Edited with R. N. Williams. Pittsburgh: Duquesne University Press, 1990.
- Introduction to Logic. Co-authored with Dennis Packard. D. Van Nostrand, 1980.