Adam Miller’s Letters to a Young Mormon is back in an updated and expanded edition, co-published with Deseret Book.
These letters are meant for a young Mormon who is familiar with Mormon life but green in his or her faith. Philosophy professor Adam S. Miller imagined himself writing to his own children. In doing so, he struggled to say his own piece about what it means to be—as a Mormon—free, ambitious, repentant, faithful, informed, prayerful, selfless, hungry, chaste, and sealed. Miller address the real beauty and real costs of trying to live a Mormon life and hopes to show something of what it means to live in a way that refuses to abandon either life or Mormonism.
This second edition of Letters to a Young Mormon includes all the content of the original, well-loved book, with added chapters on the Sabbath and stewardship, as well as a new preface by the author. Order print or audio here.
Learn more about the Living Faith book series here.
Praise for Letters
“Reading it, I felt less tired and more awakened to the climbs and depths of my life and faith. . . . I whole-hardheartedly love this very small and not so simple book; I’ve passed it on to so many others and now I recommend it on to you. A thought-provoking, beautifully written collection of ideas, insight and inspiration by Adam S. Miller.”
“Employing a witty, upbeat sense of life, the author teaches without being preachy and encourages deep reflection of serious messages in the gospel of Christ.“
- Steve Evans, By Common Consent blog, December 4, 2017.
- Robert Wheadon, LDS Apologist Now, January 12, 2018.
- Reviews of the first edition.
- Morgan Jones, “The man behind the pen of ‘Letters to a Young Mormon,’” Deseret News, December 31, 2017.
- Peggy Fletcher-Stack, Mormon Land podcast interview, Salt Lake Tribune, January 11, 2018.
- Jana Riess, “More ‘Letters to a Young Mormon,’ this time from Deseret Book,” Religion News Service, January 28, 2018.
- Morgan Lewis, “Adam Miller and Moral Creativity,” BYU Humanities website, January 30, 2018.
Pieces By Adam Miller
- “Op-ed: Listening is the first step in speaking to Mormon millennials,” Deseret News, December 17, 2017.
- “Mormonism Is Never About Mormonism,” LDS Living, January 9, 2018.
- “How Silence Made Saying My Prayers More Meaningful,” LDS Living, January 11, 2018.
- “Why We Need to Begin Thinking of Defending Mormonism in the Future,” LDS Living, January 13, 2018.
- “Defending the Family Means Defending Women and Rooting Out Misogyny, ” LDS Living, January 23, 2018.